Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Progression

Hey reads, back from my nicotine sabbatical.  This time off was my last hurrah with my habit, but I can say I have worn down my pack-a-day habit to 16/17 cigarettes roughly.  It hasn't been too difficult at this point, mainly from the short amount of time I've been doing this and the small reduction number.

The hardest part is just my regular smoking intervals, I've found.  The usual breaks are killing me; post-meal, red lights/driving, and mainly any chance to get a break waiting tables at work.  In the restaurant I work at, it's so busy that ducking out for a cigarette is the only chance I get for a couple minutes to myself.  I'm trying to recondition myself to just chew gum or at least stand for a couple and catch my breath.

The sad realization is I've been calculating my average spending on these.  On average, I'm spending $8.25 on a pack of cigarettes, daily.  Weekly, that's $57.75, which comes to $231 a month.  That's $2772 a year in total.  My pack a day habit has probably been for 4 years now.  I've spent at least $11,000 on cigarettes in this past 4 years, never mind before/after/chain-smoking/etc.  Just staring at this number on the screen in front of me is a bit shocking, realizing how much I've paid to potentially harm myself (optimistically speaking).  Aside from coughing a bit much, my health is good, but I know that can't last forever.

As many anti-smoking aids as there are, I feel self-control is the only way I'm going to potentially succeed in this task.

9 comments:

  1. I give you a lot of credit for chronicling your attempt to quit. This makes it much harder to back out. I have personally tried to quit countless times, with moderate success once with nicotine gum (6 months with out cigs). It is true that much of the addiction is mental and the convenient smoking times, such as after meal, or driving, are hard to break. I would suggest a substitution of coffee or tea when you would smoke. The caffeine buzz is similar and the act of consuming something hot is also nice. Good luck!

    -Isaac

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this topic for a blog! Being able to see from someone's perspective on trying to quit instead of someone always giving the facts on why they should quit is interesting. Smoking is a really expensive habit, yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those numbers really do put smoking in perspective but at least you realize now how much harm there is in being a smoker. It's hard road but you'll make it! Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a hard road, quitting smoking. If you can do it all on your lonesome, that's great - but do not be afraid to ask people for help. For some people it is that bit extra that makes the difference between success and backsliding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. a) There's a book called The Easy Way to Quit Smoking; I believe the author's name is Allan Carr

    b) A stipulation for his method is that you must continue smoking while reading his book and not quit until after completing; I've heard that he so fully deconstructs your brainwashing by Phillip Morris, et al, that you can't wait to be off the stuff for good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cold turkey is the best way to quit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know what.. I like this blog! I think that others who may be struggling can relate on every level. It is wonderful how you are honest about your strategy in kicking the habit.. and your optimism for quitting in the future..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your topic is great. I never realized the calculation on cigarettes. I don't smoke but a good friend of mine smokes like mad. I think I will be raising this question to him to see if he will be willing to quit!

    ReplyDelete